Feb 28, 2014

Review: Curél Makeup Cleansing Gel

I tried this in autumn Japan last year when I went to bunk over at a friend's place to save some accommodation money. Awesome friend enthusiastically introduced this product to me, sharing how good and easy it was to remove makeup. She even did a live demonstration xD


You use it on dry hand and face. Just put some in your palm and gently massage the whole face. Rinse off thoroughly.  You can continue to use a facial cleanser afterwards to remove dirt and sebum.
  IMG_9041


Name: Curél Makeup Cleansing Gel
Bought from: Borrowed from a friend’s stash!
Size: 130 gm
Price: SGD$`19.80
My Rating: 2/5

Here’s some information about the brand.

About:
Curél - Fundamental Solutions for Sensitive Skin
Mission:
Curél's Approach to Safety of Usage
- Hypoallergenic
- Fragrance-free
- Colorant-free
- Alcohol free *
- Clinically tested on sensitive skin
- pH balanced
*Applies to all face products & selected body care products

Description:
Japan's No. 1 Brand for Sensitive Skin* is now available in Singapore!

Curel Singapore hopes to free Singaporeans with sensitive skin problems, with solutions from face and body to scalp and hair. Live with confidence and peace of mind, 365 days a year with Curél.
Formulated from Kao's extensive dermatological science research, Curél's hydrating and moisture retaining ceramide care targets the actual causes of sensitive skin and provides highly effective solutions to improve skin conditions. Curél's range of products also contain Eucalyptus Extract that vastly enhances the skin’s ability to produce ceramide naturally so sensitive skin stays moisturized longer.

*Based on INTAGE Inc SRI data, Curel is the No. 1 brand for sensitive skin in Japan from Oct 2009 to Dec 2011 “



info from:
https://www.facebook.com/Curel.SG/info



Packaging

Its packed in a simple and efficient tube packaging and Tube can stand by itself.  I would have preferred a pump container but I guess this isn’t too bad either. The back of the tube has a size indicator for the amount of product to use each wash. Naiiise~~~ =)
 
IMG_9042

Texture

Came out like normal facial cleanser or toothpaste actually.  Gel like consistency and transparent in colour.

Effects

I'd say it removes the makeup pretty averagely but I guess i was too absorbed by the uncomfortable tingles in my eyes to observe more.  While rubbing the gel into my face, it became very evident that this product is not for me.
 
First my eyes started to sting and I quickly wash them (WHILE I was still cleansing). After I finished cleansing, i assumed everything was fine and I went on to apply my usual Insolution sheet face masks.  After I removed the face masks my skin started to feel dry and itchy and redness around the mouth started to appear. 
 
Though I cannot remember exactly which InSolution mask I used, it was definitely something my skin was used to. Henceforth I am under the impression that my skin can only be reacting so violently towards the Curel Makeup remover .
 

Price

My first encounter with them was free but I did see a lot of pharmacies in Japan selling them. I honestly cannot remember how much they cost there but some google research tells me Singapore sells it for $19.80. That’s pretty expensive compared to the quantity you’re getting.

Then again, a small amount can go a long way since this product will foam up on your face.

Pros

Works very well for my friend who, according to herself, said she has sensitive and dry skin. The product doesn't require cotton pad to remove makeup so I guess the convenience factor is a plus.
 

Cons

It react to my skin (which is combination , sensitive and dehydrated) instantly . My skin became slightly red after one wash.
 
To be fair, it might be due to my skin's already declining condition (skin was not adapting to Japan’s dry climate well and was starting to dry out, itch and become sensitive) that such a reaction happened but the gel felt harsh on my skin and I'm not sure if it was cleaning as well as I'd like. If it could react to me , there is the possibility it could react to you too. But then again, everyone's skin is different so it might work for you. I’m sorry if I  sound contractive haha!!

Overall

Overall to cut the story short, the curel makeup remover gel is not as mild as it says. Even though it is meant for sensitive skin, it reacted to mine instantly. I guess it removes the makeup fairly well though i needed an extra pump for around the eyes. That’s pretty unfortunate since the brand philosophy seems like such a great direction but since it reacted to my skin, this is a product i will not be touching again .
 
I must disclaim again that everybody’s skin is different and what works (or don’t work) for me might have an opposite effect for you. I hope you found this review useful. If you are a fan of the product, please feel free to comment and share your experience.














No comments: